Circulation Services

University Library Rules
Common Access to Public Services of the Macao SAR
  • Loan

    Borrowers must present their library cards at Circulation Counter for loan services.

  • Returns

    Borrowers must bring along the books themselves or by a nominee of the borrower. It is the responsibility of the borrower or nominee to ensure that his/her loan record is cleared before leaving the Counter.

  • Renewal

    Users may renew books prior to the due date at the Circulation Counter, or renew the loan items by themselves in the Library Webpage (My Library Account), or inform the Library by E-mail: or by writing. (Please list your name, library card's barcode, book title and its barcode).

  • Books on Hold

    Users may place a check out item on hold either at Circulation Counter or via Library OPAC, E-mail ( with necessary information of the book (e.g. book title, barcode). Users will be notified once the requested item is available. The book will be reserved for 1 week upon notice. If the requester fails to obtain the book from the Circulation counter within the said period, the computer system will automatically send notice to the requester with second priority.

  • Books on "Recall" Status

    The loan items may be recalled at anytime by the faculty members, master and doctoral students and these items must then be returned to the Library within 14 days. Late return will be fined on an overdue basis.

  • Macau Official Bulletin

    For enquiries, please contact Circulation Counter (G/F).

  • Reserve Materials (Teaching Members' Reserve)

    The Materials are reserved by teachers. Students can loan them for 3 hours and 3 items each time at Circulation Counter. (Only Reading in Library)

  • UM Dissertations and Theses

    Library Use Only.

  • Macau Collection

    Available at Macau Corner, 1/F - Non-circulation.

  • Rare Books and Author Signed Books

    Service provided to UM staff, students and outside users (Recommendation letter and full reason is needed).

  • Periodicals

    Available at Casual Reading and Reserve-Book Area (G/F), Non circulation (Except for Academic Staff)

  • Newspapers

    Recent newspapers are available at Casual Reading and Reserve-Book Area (G/F). Back issues can be requested at Reference Desk.

  • Audio-Visual Materials

    They can be loaned for users, but some materials with answer keys are only for teachers.

  • Lockers

    Available on each floor in the Library. For current day usage only.

  • HK Libraries Reader's Card

    UM staff, doctoral, master, and year 3 or above students can apply for the library cards of The University of Hong Kong, The Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Metropolitan University, City University of Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Shue Yan University, Tung Wah College & Hong Kong Nang Yan College of Higher Education at the Circulation Counter and its maximum is 3 cards 7 days. (For Reading Only). Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Only applicable for Academic Staff and make reservation).

  • MUST / MPU / UTM / KW Nursing College of Macau / City University of Macau / University of Saint Joseph Library Card

    UM staff and students can apply for the library borrowing cards of Macau University of Science and Technology(MUST) / Macao Polytechnic University (MPU) / Macao University of Tourism (UTM) / Kiang Wu Nursing College of Macau / City University of Macau Library / University of Saint Joseph / Macao Public Library (Applicable for all UM staff and students). The cards can bekept for 7 days.

  • Cancellation of outside user's library card (refund of deposit)

    Outside user should submit the original deposit receipt and library card (if applicable) at the Circulation Counter. If the outside user does not want to receive the bank check, he or she can submit a photocopy of the bank passbook (MOP) to the Circulation Counter for the use of autopay. Related colleague will verify the borrowing records of the outside user. If there is no outstanding record, the Library (within 7 working days) will notify the University Treasury Section to refund the deposit.